Sunday, July 24, 2011

2nd Annual Oxford Blues Festival

Kudus to Darryl Parker for a marvelous, wonderful 2nd edition of the Oxford Blues Festival.  I sadly regret that I did not have my camera on the first day and missed the opportunity to get photos of Magic Slim and the Teardrops (and they were incredible!)  I did get a few photos Saturday (limited by my camera and the ambient lighting), but they'll give you an idea of what you missed, if you didn't make it.

This was my first time to hear Magic Slim in person, and another I had never heard before was Eddie Campbell, and I loved him so much.  Effie Burt is another notable - she can really belt them out, and I love her style!

One of the great things about this festival is that it's all inside, other than tonight's festivities at Foxfire Ranch, which I will sadly miss.  Foxfire has blues every Sunday night, but this is a special associated with the blues festival.  Any Sunday night during the surmmer, though, roll on down to Foxfire and enjoy the music, the food, and the inimitable hospitality of the Hollowell family, or book your family reunion or other gathering there! They have a schedule, but aside from that, frequent drop-ins are members of the extended Burnside and Kimbrough families (of the late, great Mississippi hill country bluesmen, R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough)

Another magical thing is never knowing who is likely to drop in on a set - Mark "Muleman" Massey  in particular at Soulshine Pizza - we got not only the marvelous Effie Burt, but also an electric performance from Garry Burnside, mixed in with some gritty Mississippi magic from Muleman and band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment