Monday, August 17, 2009

2009 Sunflower Blues and Gospel Festival

In Clarksdale, MS. I only made it for the Saturday evening part, unfortunately. I could kick myself, because I missed some of fabulous older (and less well-known) artists that I love best, not to mention the Rising Star Fife and Drum, one of my favorite North Mississippi music traditions; but I did see some class acts. Before I forget, the Annual Othar Turner Picnic will be on the Friday and Saturday of August 28 and 29 this year. Dedication of the Blues Marker for Othar Turner will be in Como on Saturday, Aug. 29th at 11:00 a.m.

Super Chikan was super, as usual (forgive me, I couldn't resist). Actually, I think he has gotten better and better over the years, and, to me, he seems to be coming into his prime.

The 2 Man Wrecking Crew (with an assist by a woman I know, but whose name has slipped my memory) was rocking, they always are. Lightnin' Malcolm and Cedric Burnside (grandson of the late, great R.L. Burnside) are always high energy (try getting a non-blurred photo of Cedric!) and keep the crowd dancing and jumping.

Then, the incomparable Bettye LaVette proved that age doesn't mean a thing. She's 63 and looks 20 years younger than me (and is a year older). She can still shake a leg, too. Her voice is still powerful and she was wonderful, timeless. She sings music from across just about any genre you can think of, but manages to make each one of them hers.

I took a few pictures, which you can find at Sunflower Blues and Gospel Festival.

I'm going to be adding some of my other albums as I get time, in my slow but ongoing process of moving the salient parts of my website to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment